Minerva, New York
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The town is located in the southwest corner of the county. By road it is 40 miles (64 km) north-northwest of Queensbury, New York, 85 miles (137 km) southwest of Burlington, Vermont, 88 miles (142 km) south of Plattsburgh, 93 miles (150 km) north of Albany, and 147 miles (237 km) south of Montreal, Quebec.
The town was first settled around 1804 in the southeast part of Minerva, which has remained the center of the town’s population. The town was formed from part of the Town of Schroon in 1817. Part of Minerva was part of the Town of Newcomb until 1828. In 1870, Minerva was increased with territory taken from the Town of Schroon.
- American Revolutionary War soldier Ebenezer West and his five sons founded the town.
- Solomon Northup (1808 – c. 1863), a free-born African-American kidnapped and sold into slavery for 12 years before regaining his freedom, was born here and attended local schools. His book about his experiences was published in 1853, adapted in 1984 as a PBS movie directed by Gordon Parks, and again in 2013 as a feature-length film.
- Winslow Homer, nineteenth-century painter, was a summer visitor for several years. ()
- Francis Donnelly was the nation’s longest serving town or county official; he served as Minerva Town Supervisor and on the Essex County Board of Supervisors from 1934 until his death in 1980.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 160.3 square miles (415.1 km2), of which 156.8 square miles (406.0 km2) is land and 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2), or 2.19%, is water.
The northern part of the Hudson River forms part of the southwestern boundary of the town. The west town line is the border of Hamilton County, and the south town line is the border of Warren County. The Indian River and Boreas River flow into the Hudson in the southwest part of Minerva.
The town has a highly irregular polygonal shape.
New York State Route 28N, the Roosevelt Marcy Memorial Highway, is a north-south highway in Minerva and is the only road of significant note in the town.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 796 people, 321 households, and 225 families residing in the town. The population density was 5.0 people per square mile (1.9/km²). There were 648 housing units at an average density of 4.1 per square mile (1.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.86% White, 0.25% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.13% Asian, and 2.51% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.13% of the population.
There were 321 households out of which 27.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the town, the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 110.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,903, and the median income for a family was $37,500. Males had a median income of $28,523 versus $19,688 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,531. About 11.3% of families and 13.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.4% of those under age 18 and 14.2% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Minerva
- Aiden Lair – A location near the north town line on NY-28N.
- Lake Balfour – A lake south of Aiden Lair.
- Camps Baco and Che-Na-Wah – brother/sister camps located on Lake Balfour in the summer
- Boreas River – A hamlet in the northeast corner of the town on Route 2.
- Chain Lakes – A number of connected lakes at the west town line.
- Hewitt Pond – A lake east of Alden Lair.
- Irishtown – A hamlet on County Road 24.
- Leonardsville – A hamlet due east of Minerva on the Trout Brook Rd.
- Loch Muller – A hamlet northeast of Minerva.
- Minerva – The hamlet of Minerva is in the south part of the town on NY-28N. It is primarily a resort village for tourists.
- Minerva Lake – A small artificial lake east of Minerva village, formed around 1932 by damming Jones Brook.
- Mink Lake – A small lake near the south town line.
- Moose Pond – A small lake in the northwest part of Minerva.
- Moose Pond Club – A hamlet in the northwestern part of the town.
- Morse Corners – A former community in Minerva, near Minerva village.
- Northwoods Club – A hamlet in the southwestern part of the town by Mink Lake.
- Olmstedville – A hamlet southeast of Minerva village on County Road 29. Minerva Central School and station of Minerva Fire & Rescue are located there.
- Pudding Hollow – A hamlet northwest of Minerva village on NY-28N.
- Stillwater – A hamlet southeast of Moose Pond Club.